What is the Alertus emergency contact database?
The Alertus emergency contact database is the officially recognised system, that holds the incident or emergency contact details (and other related information) for both residential and business properties throughout New Zealand. It is a service that enables the Police, Fire or Ambulance service to obtain any relevant contact information should an incident occur at your property. The addition of the asset register to business and rrsidential customers will allow Police to request serial number searches to identify the correct owners of located property, whether stolen or found.
Is the service open to anyone?Yes. Whether you are an owner or tenant, it doesn’t make a difference. Everyone has the right to use this service regardless of ownership. Incidents or Emergency situations are not selective in this way so nor are we!
How long will the database retain my emergency contact information?
The emergency contact service is a yearly service. At the end of the first year, Alertus will contact you to renew your membership.
What is the cost for registering my home or business with the Alertus Emergency Contact System?
- Under the Business plan the cost to register your business premises with the Alertus emergency contact system is just $49.00 per year including GST.
- For the Everday residential plan the cost to register a residential home, apartment, beach house, flat or unit with the Alertus emergency contact system is also just $49.00 per year including GST.
How can I pay for my Alertus emergency contact membership?
Payment can be made by one of two ways.
- By Direct Credit internet banking into the Alertus bank account which is Westpac Bank Acc Number: 03-0578-0917624-00. Please specify your invoice number and surname (residential customers) or business name (business customers) or;
- Payments can be made via credit card on receipt of Invoice.
Protecting your information On Line
At Alertus we use the highest industry standards in security to protect your information.
Accordingly we regularly monitor and review our IT security to counter any new security threats.
What happens if I forget or lose my password?If you forget or lose your password please visit the Alertus website, or call 0800-201-201, and request a new password to be sent to the email address or postal address registered on the Alertus emergency contact database. For security purposes you will be required to correctly answer a security question before the new password will be sent to your email or postal address. NOTE: If you cannot correctly answer any of these questions you will not be sent a new password but asked to re-register your property on the Alertus emergency contact database and pay for the registration.
What happens if I forget my username?
Your username is based on your own name and therefore should be easily remembered!!
NOTE: You will not be sent a new username and therefore you will need to re-register your property on the Alertus emergency contact database and pay for the registration.
What happens if I forget my security question or security answer?
If you forget the details of your security question or security answer you will be required to re-register your property on the Alertus emergency contact database and pay for the registration.
While your online
We have 128-bit SSL encryption to keep your information secure.
This basically means that your information travels over the internet as a sophisticated code that only we can unscramble.
Our secure website has an SSL certificate issued by Verisign to let you know that our website is genuine and secure.
For information on SSL certificates visit the Verisign website.
Our email security policy
We understand our obligation to protect our customers to the best of our ability from email phishing attacks. We have a very clear policy regarding how we talk to our customers via email.
Emails from Alertus will never:
- Ask you to divulge your username or password
- Ask you directly to login to Alertus via a link
- Ask you explicitly to login to your Alertus profile
- Take you to a web page which explicitly prompts you to login to your Alertus profile
Protecting yourself onlineThere are a few simple things you can do to help protect yourself online: When using your Alertus profile
- Select a suitable password.
- Always protect your password.
- If you suspect your password is known by someone else, change it using the password reset facility on your profile;
- Always logout of your Alertus Profile when you have finished.
- Check that the website is secure, when you are entering in your personal information.
- Be careful with emails.
- Secure your computer.
- When you first register your property with Alertus, you will need to select a user name and password that you can remember.
- Make sure this information is hard for anyone to guess.
- Unsuitable passwords include number and letter combinations that may be easily guessed (e.g. 3456, ABC, 1111, AAA), passwords used by you for on line services, or other easily accessible personal information (e.g. birthdate, family, pet or street names).??
- Never write your password down or give it out to anyone.
- Remember that we will never ask you for your Alertus password.